Mini Lemon curd Meringue Pies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup ice cold water (I actually put an ice cube in mine)
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumb. Stir in water a little at a time until mixture forms a ball. Divide dough in half, and shape into balls. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Or if in a hurry place in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a floured counter. Don’t over work it. Cut 12 rounds with something slightly larger than a muffin pan hole, about 5 in across. Place the rounds in carefully and bake about 7 minutes or until golden brown. You can use two muffin pans to put some space between the pies.
My favorite lemon curd..make this first and let it chill
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- In the top of a double boiler (or stainless bowl over pot of water), beat eggs and sugar. Stir in lemon juice, butter and lemon zest. Cook over simmering water for 15 minutes or until thickened.
My note: Remove from heat immediately and continue stirring so not to curdle your curd.
Fill baked pie crust with about 1/5 cup lemon curd
Top with ….
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Place egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and then gradually add sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Fill pastry bag and use to top lemon filling.
Place in 325 degree preheated oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until peaks are golden brown.
Leave a Comment